Get to Know DPSCD! – Monica – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Get to Know DPSCD! – Monica

Hi everyone! I am working with the Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD), specifically the Office of the Superintendent. The District’s mission is “We educate and empower every student, in every community, every day, to build a stronger Detroit.” My specific project is a policy modernization project. I am tasked with looking over all 400 of the district’s policies. This includes making appropriate amendments, compiling a spreadsheet of policy info into different categories, and ensuring the policies include inclusive language. I’m currently on Policy 196 lol. It’s definitely a heavy task, but one I’m eager to do my best on.

As far as DCERP, I’m really enjoying my time getting to know you all. I look forward to Thursday’s meetings a lot. It feels like a comfortable, safe space. I also really like my learning group; we plan on watching Wall-E to discuss environmental justice which I think is sort of funny. I hope I have a better chance to connect with you all.

Thanks for reading, and let’s see what’s to come for Week 3! It feels like time is flying by.

2 thoughts on “Get to Know DPSCD! – Monica”

1. Hi Monica!
    When we were first reading about the programs before we matched, I had considered this community placement, so I loved reading about what you’re doing. I can tell that is a heavy work load for you, but I think you will learn a lot about the school and the policies and how to best be inclusive and use inclusive language.
    I agree with what you’re saying about it feeling like a comfortable, safe space, I felt the same way. I think that sounds like a really fun plan for your learning group, and look forward to hearing more about what you learn from Wall-E.

2. Hi, Monica!
    I think it’s really cool that you’re working with the Detroit Public Schools. I am going to be working with the students in the city over the course of this summer. I’m working with 826michigan, and they are working to address the literacy needs of the students. Actually, I am attending a DPSCD Award Celebration tomorrow. Will you be at this event? It’s really cool that our organizations are intertwined!