C++ Programming for Brain-Computer Interface Evaluation of Choice-making – UROP Spring Symposium 2021

C++ Programming for Brain-Computer Interface Evaluation of Choice-making

Dharivi Bansal

Dharivi Bansal

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Research Mentor(s): Jane Huggins, Associate Research Scientist
Research Mentor School/College/Department: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Michigan Medicine
Presentation Date: Thursday, April 22, 2021
Session: Session 6 (4pm-4:50pm)
Breakout Room: Room 16
Presenter: 4

Event Link

Abstract

A Direct Brain Interface provides a direct connection between the human brain and various other kinds of technologies. The University of Michigan- Direct Brain Interface (UM-DBI) Laboratory’s current work focuses on creating practical clinical tools for people with physical disabilities. These tools include electroencephalogram (EEG)-based brain-computer interfaces (BCIs). The UM-DBI laboratory has been working on software for cognitive testing and is creating additional test question formats . As a single term project, I have limited goals to achieve in a short time frame. I have picked up on this project and am working on improving the overall layout of the question formats and adding more usability features to the software. The existing code for the BCI to generate questions for cognitive testing is written in C++ and uses the Visual Studio 2010 compiler. It uses Cmake and QT creator to simplify the GUI application development. I used an agile method to work on improving the code and met with my mentor regularly to fix issues. As a result of my work, the lab will now be able to skip certain training pages that are not required during the testing process. The program instead will start from the base level of questions. There are parameter error checking features that are still being implemented. Once completed, it will lower the chances of the software crashing while in use and will make things run smoother.

Authors: Dharivi S. Bansal, Jane E. Huggins
Research Method: Computer Programming