Development of Handheld Magnetometer Prototype – UROP Spring Symposium 2021

Development of Handheld Magnetometer Prototype

Diego Suazo De La Rosa

Diego Suazo De La Rosa

Pronouns: he/him/his

Research Mentor(s): Mark Moldwin, Professor
Research Mentor School/College/Department: Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering, College of Engineering
Presentation Date: Thursday, April 22, 2021
Session: Session 5 (3pm-3:50pm)
Breakout Room: Room 18
Presenter: 1

Event Link

Abstract

Equipment for detecting magnetic fields can often be a burden to carry, calibrate, and use effectively with ease. While some handheld magnetometers are commercially available, not all meet the desired ease of use, accuracy, or price. As such, with the help of the company PNI, I, through the assistance and guidance of the Michigan Moldwin Magnetics Lab, have been working towards developing a prototype for a handheld magnetometer with these desired qualities. In order to accomplish this, I spent the first months of my research developing 3D modeling skills with the Solidworks software, as well as developing understanding of the C++ coding language and the Arudino coding software. Afterwards I spent time reading over documentation for PNI magnetic sensors to extract data collected from them, and I’m currently in the process of writing code, along with other lab members, that will allow this magnetometer to function with accuracy and ease. The current problems are: converting data into a readable format and connecting multiple sensors with one single central processing unit. Currently I have developed a basic design for the sensor housing , as well as worked with a team towards designing the circuitry and code for this magnetometer that we expect to be completed by the end of the semester. While the prototype will currently be just that – a prototype, we hope that its use in the lab is extended to the greater scientific community that deals with such sensors, and perhaps even commercializing the design through PNI.

Authors: Diego Suazo De la Rosa, Mark Moldwin
Research Method: Data Collection and Analysis