HOPE Village Storytelling – UROP Spring Symposium 2021

HOPE Village Storytelling

Rachel Kim

UROP Logo

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Research Mentor(s): Debbie Fisher, Executive Director
Research Mentor School/College/Department: HOPE Village Revitalization,
Presentation Date: Thursday, April 22, 2021
Session: Session 2 (11am – 11:50am)
Breakout Room: Room 6
Presenter: 6

Event Link

Abstract

HOPE Village Revitalization (HVR) is a non-profit community-development corporation with a long history of success serving the HOPE Village neighborhood in Detroit. Using a community-driven approach to mitigate disparities in wealth, privilege and educational opportunities within the neighborhood, HVR is dedicated to being part of the collective working toward equitable and sustainable development in Detroit and to being known as a model of excellence, integrity, and community decision making. This past year, I worked closely with my mentor to develop informational material highlighting the La Salle Eco-Demonstration Home, the organization’s LEED-certified sustainable-living model based on the philosophy that energy efficiency, renewable energy, and sustainable living should be available to everyone regardless of income. Toward this end, I created both written and visual resources that describe and explain various features and sustainable, forward-thinking innovations of the home, as well as covering sustainable goals of the organization achieved with the rehabilitation of the house. By doing research on various eco-friendly efforts currently in progress in Detroit as well as other parts of the world, and particularly seeing the development and work done within the HOPE Village community, I was greatly informed and inspired by the work that is being done in the area of sustainability. I am grateful to my mentor and HOPE Village for this amazing opportunity to be part of the collective effort toward their mission and to experience firsthand the inner-workings of a nonprofit organization.

Authors: Debbie Fisher, Rachel Kim
Research Method: Community Based Research