K-12 Science Pedagogy Research and Development: Cognitive Science Focus – UROP Spring Symposium 2021

K-12 Science Pedagogy Research and Development: Cognitive Science Focus

Tara Velappan

UROP Logo

Pronouns: she/her

Research Mentor(s): Stephanie Lu, Head of R&D
Research Mentor School/College/Department: , Ross School of Business
Presentation Date: Thursday, April 22, 2021
Session: Session 2 (11am – 11:50am)
Breakout Room: Room 9
Presenter: 5

Event Link

Abstract

In the United States, nearly half of students in the 2014 Gallup Student Poll report being either not engaged (28%) or actively disengaged (19%) in school in a survey completed by 825,000 students. My findings will directly impact how Moonshot Labs designs its lesson plans, pedagogical processes, and teacher training programs. The question I am working towards answering is what are some critical issues children face when learning or when developing mastery behavior?; My research perspective is through the lens of cognitive science and seeing how kids learn and mastery behavior development. At the start of every week, I review a minimum of 12 research articles to gauge credibility, relevancy, and insights. I then select the top 4-5 research papers I’d like to examine for the week. So far, I have collected all this information to create a literature review. Through my research, I found that there are many factors that contribute to a child’s development and early learning. I was able to categorize factors into four main groups: cognitive development, intellectual habits, social emotional development, and overall health. It is important to note that though these concepts are separated, each aspect enables or assists learning and development in the others. The best way to improve the way students learn in a classroom is to create solutions that address these factors. My research hopes to analyze the growing body of research on K-12 pedagogy, and see how this research can be used to maximize student learning. With the collaboration of my peers, we will be combining various perspectives (cognitive science with media and teacher training)”ā€¯this project will contribute to possibly improving the way students learn.

Authors: Stephanie Lu, Tara Velappan
Research Method: Qualitative Study