MyVoice- Examining the Relationship between Youth Health and spending time in Nature – UROP Spring Symposium 2021

MyVoice- Examining the Relationship between Youth Health and spending time in Nature

Jack Nawrocki

UROP Logo

Pronouns: He/ Him

Research Mentor(s): Tammy Chang, Assistant Professor
Research Mentor School/College/Department: Family Medicine, Michigan Medicine
Presentation Date: Thursday, April 22, 2021
Session: Session 2 (11am – 11:50am)
Breakout Room: Room 13
Presenter: 6

Event Link

Abstract

Purpose: Both physical and mental health issues among youth have been on the rise, yet there still is a challenge in how to combat this growing problem that is damaging the overall health of the younger generation. Methods: In order to get youth’s perspectives, the MyVoice team fielded a series of 4 open ended text message questions designed to gauge the opinions of the youth (ages 14-24) on the impact of nature on their health. Once the data was collected, it was coded and frequency of codes were summarized. Results: From this, it was found that 51.6% of youth stated that being in nature helped them feel at peace or more calm (“I always feel calm when I am in nature”) while 22.1% stated that it improved their mental state by calming their anxieties or stress (“It reduces my anxiety”); however, the data also showed that over 20% of youth claimed that they were unable to spend as much time in nature due to other engagements that limited their ability to go into nature as much as they would have liked (“My busy schedule doesn’t allow me.”) Overall, the youth polled agreed that being in nature improved both their physical and mental health. Conclusion: Using this information, policy makers can help youth spend more time in nature by promoting accessible and safe outside areas for recreation.

Authors: Jack Nawrocki, Dr. Tammy Chang
Research Method: Qualitative Study