The Dream of Detroit’s Storytelling Project – UROP Spring Symposium 2021

The Dream of Detroit’s Storytelling Project

Meghana Srinivasa

UROP Logo

Pronouns: She/Her

Research Mentor(s): Alisa Perkins, Ethnographic Research Director
Research Mentor School/College/Department: Dream of Detroit,
Presentation Date: Thursday, April 22, 2021
Session: Session 1 (10am-10:50am)
Breakout Room: Room 6
Presenter: 2

Event Link

Abstract

Dream of Detroit’s Storytelling project is aimed at educating the public about African-American Muslim and African Muslim communities in Detroit through oral history interviews. I helped transcribe a set of these interviews to prepare them for the project’s multi-media website and permanent public archive. These interviews, carried out by a team of young people from within community, center around how members of these populations participate in community building, leadership, and the revitalization of Detroit. Through my work in the project, I deepened my understanding of how community members view the importance of Islamic education, neighborhood revitalization, and social justice. I learned about the diversity of individuals and experiences within these communities. I will benefit from this broadened perspective in both my personal and educational life. The transcriptions of these interviews and the project as a whole will increase understanding, appreciation, and respect for the history, diversity, and impact of African American Muslim and African Muslim communities in Detroit.

Authors: Meghana Srinivasa, Alisa Perkins
Research Method: Community Based Research