Analysis of cancer survivor’s health care experiences – UROP Spring Symposium 2022

Analysis of cancer survivor’s health care experiences

photo of presenter

Savannah Klinger

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Research Mentor(s): Lauren Wallner
Co-Presenter:
Research Mentor School/College/Department: Internal Medicine, Division of General Medicine / Medicine
Presentation Date: April 20
Presentation Type: Poster
Session: Session 3 – 1:40pm – 2:30 pm
Room: League Ballroom
Authors: Lauren Wallner
Presenter: 59

Abstract

The canSORT research project studies breast cancer survivors 5 or more years after recovery. The purpose of this research is to see if patients face discrimination while receiving health care and to evaluate the effect of it on their mental and physical health. A 40-page survey is sent to the patients that asks questions about the quality of their health care while acquiring some personal information about them. This includes questions about their gender, salary, marital status, medical history and more. This is a new study, so there is little preexisting information on this topic. Emory University and USC surveys their volunteering patients and then sends the surveys to Michigan without the patient’s name in order to follow HIPPA guidelines. Then, I put their information into a UM Medical database where my mentor can compare and study the data. Based on what I have seen thus far, I think we will conclude that discrimination does exist in health care, but it is not common within the population being studied. Patient’s mental health issues are strongly correlated with their bodies appearing differently after care. If we conclude that many people are facing discrimination, the public and government need to be notified so that the health care system can be completely reformed and justice can be served.

Presentation link

Biomedical Sciences