Aratus Project – UROP Spring Symposium 2022

Aratus Project

photo of presenter

Ichiro Ausin

Pronouns: he/him

Research Mentor(s): Francesca Schironi
Co-Presenter:
Research Mentor School/College/Department: Classical Studies / LSA
Presentation Date: April 20
Presentation Type: Oral5
Session: Session 4 – 2:40pm – 3:30 pm
Room: Breakout room 3
Authors: Ichiro Ausin, Francesca Schironi
Presenter: 1

Abstract

The Aratus Project is an NSF sponsored project between multiple departments here at the University of Michigan and Brown. The Principal Investigator is Professor Schironi with whom I have been working with during this academic year (2021-2022). The project has several goals, in particular I was involved in two of the main goals. Firstly, to help the construction of an open access website (Aratus Project website) which collects all the exegetical material on Aratus’ Phaenomena which is an Hellenistic poem about constellations. Secondly, to help develop a website for an online exhibit in collaboration with the U of M libraries to illustrate how astronomy developed in the ancient world and was transmitted from the Babylonians to Copernicus. For the Aratus project, I revised the HTML coding of the texts in the webpage. For the online exhibit website, I prepared a list of entries with definitions of important terms of modern and ancient astronomy. These entries will be important for the website because Professor Schironi will use it as a “handbook” for an undergraduate class on ancient astronomy. Students will be able to consult the glossary to learn about key terms and concepts that will help them fully comprehend the topics. The results of this project will be outreach and teaching. The goal is to make arcane subjects such as ancient astronomy more accessible to a wider audience through explanations and visualizations that a general audience can understand.

Presentation link

Engineering, Arts and Humanities, Interdisciplinary, Social Sciences