Bioinformatic fingerprinting and similarity searching for skin disease drug prioritization – UROP Spring Symposium 2022

Bioinformatic fingerprinting and similarity searching for skin disease drug prioritization

photo of presenter

Ananya Kasi

Pronouns: she/her

Research Mentor(s): Matthew Patrick
Co-Presenter:
Research Mentor School/College/Department: Department of Dermatology / Medicine
Presentation Date: April 20
Presentation Type: Poster
Session: Session 1 – 10am – 10:50am
Room: League Ballroom
Authors: Ananya Kasi, Matthew Patrick
Presenter: 105

Abstract

The field of multi-omics involves a unified study of genomics, epigenomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and metabolomics. The vast availability and subsequent analysis of multi-omic data plays a significant role in health research and drug discovery. Our research group aims at creating a software library for combining, processing, and analyzing such data to help analyze efficient treatments for skin diseases. In our project, we used several bioinformatic fingerprinting and similarity searching techniques to compare tofacitinib (a drug used for skin diseases) with known molecules in a chemical and pharmacological database. Our research further identified factors that influenced the similarity score. The findings of this research and techniques used can be utilized to optimize and improve drug discovery for skin diseases. The project is my first step towards analyzing large bioinformatics libraries using programming techniques and modules in python. I am intrigued with the possibilities that exist at the intersection of medical science and technology. This project has inspired me to explore the world of multi-omics. I am excited to build on my experience and contribute to the evolving world of drug discovery.

Presentation link

Biomedical Sciences, Interdisciplinary