How the Distribution of Pro-Establishment Party in Election Evolve: A Historical Data Review – UROP Spring Symposium 2022

How the Distribution of Pro-Establishment Party in Election Evolve: A Historical Data Review

photo of presenter

Tingjun Lin

Pronouns: he/him

Research Mentor(s): Allen Hicken
Co-Presenter:
Research Mentor School/College/Department: Political Science / LSA
Presentation Date: April 20
Presentation Type: Oral5
Session: Session 4 – 2:40pm – 3:30 pm
Room: Breakout room 5
Authors: Tingjun Lin, Allen Hicken
Presenter: 1

Abstract

One country two systems have been used to describe the community and difference between Mainland China and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region since the come back of Hong Kong. Although essentially the Chinese central government and Chinese Communist Party administer over Hongkong, it still possesses the right to hold the election. In this report, I will use the data provided by the Constituency-Level Election Archive (CLEA) to review how the left-wing (pro-Beijing) parties and right-wing (pro-democracy) parties evolved as the leader of China has changed. I will quantitatively categorize the party into these two categories first and analyze them through different periods of different Chinese leaders. The conclusion that I draw is a descriptive measurement of the distribution of elected parties in these periods.

Presentation link

Social Sciences