Bridging Neighborhoods Program – UROP Summer 2020 Symposium

Bridging Neighborhoods Program

Angel Phillips

Angel Phillips

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

UROP Fellowship: Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Research Mentor(s): Amy Amador
Bridging Neighborhoods Program

Presentation Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 | DCERP Showcase

Authors: Angel Phillips

Abstract

Hello, my name is Angel Phillips (she/her/hers). I’m a rising senior majoring in Economics with a minor in Intergroup relations. I worked with Bridging Neighborhoods whose mission is to offer professional relocation, renovation, and real estate services to neighborhoods like Delray
which was a historically industrial and heavily polluted community in southwest Detroit along the Detroit River due to the construction of the Gordie Howe Bridge. The program seeks “to improve quality of life and reduce exposure to contaminants through environmental mitigation and a home swap program.
My project was to speak with members impacted by the work that this program has offered. I then organized data to determine how the program could improve to help community members and to determine relations of community members to the city. I also looked at ways it could improve its impact by figuring out how many partners the program works with and I participated in outreach to create more relationships within the city. Being within this program and speaking with community members has emphasized how important it is to create long lasting relationships that allow residents to not feel forgotten. I grew up in a community with few resources and few opportunities, and I knew these feelings all too well. It was fulfilling to assist people who wanted to be a part of a solution instead of ignoring the problem and this program has given me hope in the city.

Research Disciplines

Social Sciences, Community-Engaged, Environmental Studies, Public Health