Detroit Food Academy – UROP Summer 2020 Symposium

Detroit Food Academy

Sasha Fraser

Sasha Fraser

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

UROP Fellowship: Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Research Mentor(s): Tiffany Brown, Julia Wainwright
Detroit Food Academy

Presentation Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 | DCERP Showcase

Authors: Sasha Fraser

Abstract

My name is Sasha Fraser. My pronouns are she/her/hers. I’m a rising sophomore and exploring a major in education, public policy or PPE. I worked with Detroit Food Academy, whose mission is “to inspire young Detroiters (ages 10-24) through culinary arts and food entrepreneurship.” Through DFA students cook healthy meals from scratch and facilitate conversations on sustainability, the triple bottom line and food justice. During the Summer Leadership Program, or SLP, students develop culinary skills and explore the history, culture, and future of food in Detroit while they receive a stipend. I worked with SLP behind the scenes, tracking attendance and assignments, and attending the digital cohorts with students. I also spearheaded research to investigate how to improve student engagement and retention in DFA’s after-school program. My research will inform DFA in the fall as they make adjustments for student and staff safety surrounding COVID. I had the opportunity to engage with 27 beautiful youth and watch them gain the knowledge, and power, to change their communities. I really valued and learned from their perspectives and stories. I am especially grateful to Tiffany Brown, and Julie Wainwright for mentoring me at DFA.. I admire both of these women for their dedication to youth, to their communities, and to social justice. They work incredibly hard and it’s been an honor being a member of their team. I am inspired and committed to continuing to fight for food justice into my professional life. Thank you.

Research Disciplines

Social Sciences, Community-Engaged, Public Health