Downtown Detroit Partnership – UROP Summer 2020 Symposium

Downtown Detroit Partnership

Le’Elle Davis

Le'Elle Davis

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

UROP Fellowship: Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Research Mentor(s): David Cowan, Derek Thornton
Downtown Detroit Partnership

Presentation Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 | DCERP Showcase

Authors: Le’Elle Davis

Abstract

Hello, my name is Le’Elle (pronouns she/her/hers). I’m a graduating senior at UM and majoring in Psychology and Women’s Studies. I worked with the Downtown Detroit Partnership (DDP), an urban planning firm that manages the downtown Detroit park events and programming. The six downtown Detroit parks attract over 2 million visitors annually through cultural experiences, programs, events, and activities that are free and open to all. I had an opportunity to assess and research urban public space policies addressing COVID-19 in parks and recreational spaces across the nation. While working on this project, I became very familiar with public health policy and recreational health guidelines. I was happy to be involved in creating safer recreational spaces and helping to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. The staff at Downtown Detroit Partnership was very welcoming and gave me the opportunity to challenge myself through thought-provoking projects. I am very grateful to have had them guide me through this experience. My time with DCERP has furthered my understanding and appreciation of collaborating with others to create efficient solutions to everyday problems. I will continue to practice these skills within my graduate studies in the field of psychology. Thank you.

Research Disciplines

Social Sciences, Community-Engaged, Public Health