Soulardarity – UROP Summer 2020 Symposium

Soulardarity

Chloe Hale

Chloe Hale

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

UROP Fellowship: Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Research Mentor(s): Jackson Koeppel
Soulardarity

Presentation Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 | DCERP Showcase

Authors: Chloe Hale

Abstract

Hi everyone! My name is Chloe Hale. My pronouns are she/her/hers, and I am majoring in political science and social theory and practice. This summer I worked with Soulardarity, a non profit, based in Highland Park, a city that is surrounded by the city of Detroit. Soulardarity was formed following the repossession of over 1,000 streetlights by DTE, leaving the city in the dark. Their mission is to install solar-powered street lights, help community members save money on energy bills, and build a just and equitable energy system. My project was researching and writing a report for a feasibility study on a business model that Soulardarity is considering that would provide solar lighting as a service in south east Michigan. I primarily interviewed stakeholders and vendors and gained insight on Michigan’s energy market as well as cities’ plans for climate action and willingness to transition to solar energy. It was amazing to see the positive responses to this study, and discover the opportunities for this business in the future. This was an invaluable experience for me, and I hope to continue to fight for energy democracy and be involved in grassroot organizing in my future professional career. Thank you.

Research Disciplines

Social Sciences, Community-Engaged, Environmental Studies