Annie Klusendorf

Annie Klusendorf

Annie’s piece on alternative education, “For the Chance of Knowing Something,” was published in the Michigan Daily in January 2021. She reflects on her experience in English 322: “I took English 322 because I’d previously taken a class with Mr. Hinken, and I was intrigued by the pairing up of students with professional journalists. I walked away from the class with several articles I’d love to never read again, but one that I’m intensely proud of, and a relationship with a journalism mentor that became one of the most helpful things the University ever gave me. the class showed me that, if I wanted to do it, I could actually become a writer. Mr. Hinken’s class gave me space to write about and process some of the things happening in my life, one of which being the beginning of the pandemic in 2020, and he always encouraged us no matter what we were writing about. His instruction and feedback were invaluable as I learned the ropes of being a narrative nonfiction writer.”

Inspired by her work in English 322, Annie wrote for the Michigan Daily‘s longform publication, the Statement, in her senior year. After graduating from UM with a degree in English in 2021, Annie moved to Boulder, CO and started working for Field Mag.

UM Privacy Statement
Accessibility at UM