Detroit Public Television’s Great Lakes Now – UROP Summer Symposium 2021

Detroit Public Television’s Great Lakes Now

Noah Bock

Noah Bock

Pronouns: He/Him/His

UROP Fellowship: DCERP
Research Mentor(s): Natasha Blakely, Great Lakes Now News Director
Research Mentor Institution/Department: Detroit Public Television’s Great Lakes Now

Presentation Date: Thursday, July 29th
Session: 5:30 – 7:00pm
Breakout Room: DCERP Showcase

Event Link

Abstract

Hi everyone! My name is Noah Bock, and I’m a rising sophomore planning to study economics and public policy.

My organization was Great Lakes Now, an initiative of Detroit Public Television covering news, issues, and events affecting the Great Lakes and surrounding areas. Along with daily articles on their website, they produce a monthly television show that airs in five states and Ontario.

My project was researching and writing stories for the Great Lakes Now website. I published articles on community science initiatives, non-motorized trail projects, sturgeon restoration programs, and other important topics. (https://www.greatlakesnow.org/author/noah-bock/)

The best part of my DCERP experience was getting to interview everyone from scientists to community organizers to passionate citizens, and sharing their stories. In my articles, I wanted to make sure their passion shone through because they make the story what it is. It was an honor writing about them. Like the theme of our showcase, I tried to “Lift Every Voice” in my own small way.

I had an interest in writing and the environment before this summer, and the DCERP program has only strengthened those interests. Because of DCERP, I hope to pursue them further in the future.

Finally, I’ve been inspired by the voices and stories of the other DCERP fellows and their organizations, particularly because of their collaborative spirit. For example, Great Lakes Now collaborates with other news organizations, and Detroit Public Television has partnerships with many of the community organizations DCERP fellows worked with. In fact, I had the opportunity to interview the mentor from another DCERP partner organization, Southwest Detroit Environmental Vision. I’ve come to appreciate how Detroit has a collaborative community of organizations dedicated to the people of the city unlike anywhere else.

Thank you!

Articles:

GreatLakesNow Articles by Noah Bock: https://www.greatlakesnow.org/author/noah-bock/

Public Resource: Around the Great Lakes, everyday people help make science possible – Author Noah Bock

Citizen Science Opportunities: How can you get involved in scientific research – Author Noah Bock