News Juicer Foundation – UROP Summer Symposium 2021

News Juicer Foundation

Maia Jackson

Maia Jackson

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

UROP Fellowship: DCERP
Research Mentor(s): Dr. Florian Feucht, President
Research Mentor Institution/Department: News Juicer Foundation

Presentation Date: Thursday, July 29th
Session: 5:30 – 7:00pm
Breakout Room: DCERP Showcase

Event Link

Abstract

Hello, my name is Maia Jackson and I’m a rising sophomore, tentatively majoring in Psychology with a double minor in Afro and African American Studies and Education for Empowerment.
This summer, I had the pleasure of working with the News Juicer Foundation whose programs help students master critical thinking skills and news media literacy.
My responsibilities included completing video testing for the online module, compiling information to aid politician outreach, and providing detailed feedback for the online module. I worked closely with the team to further develop the learning program and its implementation.
By working with the News Juicer Foundation, I have learned more about myself, my strengths and weaknesses, and how to navigate new environments. I’ve also gained insight into the inner workings of a not for profit organization. I’ve enjoyed being able to meet team members with a variety of roles and experiences as well as being given the opportunity to participate in meetings and tasks. I felt like more of a team member than an intern which gave me the confidence to really engage with the wonderful professionals at my site. My supervisor Florian, and the rest of the team were patient with me and allowed me to take on responsibilities while still learning about research design and the complexities of education from a psychological perspective.
I’m thankful that DCERP has, in a way, reintroduced me to my own city. Through this program, I’ve learned so much more about Detroit than I knew before. Being in DCERP has also helped me solidify my desire to return to Detroit after I graduate. I am grateful for the other DCERP fellows and Ray for creating a community within the program even though we were distanced. I’ve become so much more informed through our discussions and the content that’s been shared with us. DCERP has opened me up to new possibilities and I look forward to seeing how this experience will impact my future in Detroit because I know it will. Thank you.