Episode 12: Dear Mom and Dad – Michigan Voices

Episode 12: Dear Mom and Dad

A Conversation About Black Lives Matter

S5E6 Neurodivergence Michigan Voices

Content warning: we will be discussing mental health, specifically ADHD. Two individuals with ADHD, Olivia and Kaylin, engage in a candid and illuminating conversation about their experiences with the condition. They discuss the challenges faced in various aspects of life, shedding light on the daily struggles and triumphs that come with ADHD. Throughout the episode, they share coping mechanisms and strategies that have proven effective for them, offering practical insights for listeners dealing with similar issues. This episode fosters a sense of connection and understanding, aiming to break down stigmas surrounding ADHD while providing a platform for open dialogue and shared experiences. Producer: Kaylin Eighmey

There are so many kids who struggle with communicating to their parents about politics, social causes, and democracy, specifically, support for the Black Lives Matter Movement… So let’s break it down and have an open conversation about race. In this episode, you will hear a compilation of educational dialogue, personal narratives, and guided discussions with my peers of various backgrounds to gauge how Gen Z is having this important conversation with their parents. Together, we can break the ice on these tough yet crucial conversations that you should initiate with your parents.

What You’ll Hear In This Episode

• Anti-blackness and colorism in Asian culture
  • The Model Minority Myth
  • Historical legacy and what led to the movement
  • What is defunding the police
  • How to navigate conflicting opinions
  • What children wish parents would understand about their perspective

Credits

Music: “Vibe” Produced by Pacific (https://www.youtube.com/c/pacificcollective)

Special Thanks To: Professor T Hetzel, my classmates, and my interviewees: Nick, Dele, & Rachel

Producer

Annie Wang

As a first-generation Chinese immigrant and college student, I hold a ton of gratitude for my family. Though neither of my parents had an opportunity to attend college due to financial struggles in rural China, they have done everything in their power to provide a loving home for me and my sister. While my parents and I often have clashing opinions due to the different environments and cultures that we grew up with, I’ve realized that I want to be able to have these difficult conversations without hurting our relationship… And so do many others. Thus, I’ve set out on a mission to help both children and parents bridge the generational and cultural gap to enrich familial bonds and encourage communication. My name is Annie Wang, and these are some things that I wish my parents would understand.

If you’re interested in hearing more of these episodes, stay tuned on https://anchor.fm/dearmomndad, check out my personal website, or follow my journey on Instagram @anni3wang for all the latest updates!

UM Privacy Statement
Accessibility at UM