My Research Project – Zara Bedella

The research project I am working on is with Dr. Soofi, and Emily (another student in WAGSFP!), on the role of the Pax2 gene in ovarian cancer. We are looking at the oviduct in order to study the gene. My role in the research includes a lot of experimental work such as PCR and staining. I also have learned a lot about microscopy and taking good images of oviduct tissue on slides. I have really enjoyed everything I have done in the lab, and most of it is new to me so I have learned a lot over the past few weeks. I enjoy doing PCR and running gels, and I also find immunofluorescence (IF) staining to be a really interesting process. Looking at tissue slides under the microscope has also helped me to better understand the structure of the oviduct and how that affects what genes are expressed where.  Research ethics are important in our research in that we have to make sure to follow procedures well and be careful with more hazardous materials/chemicals. 

This research project can have a very large impact on cancer prevention and treatment, specifically for ovarian cancer. By looking at how ovarian cancer can arise in mice, we can better understand ways to prevent its beginnings in people. This would greatly affect both individuals diagnosed with or predisposed to ovarian cancer, as well as the wider field of cancer research. 

Overall, I really like the research project so far, and I am excited to keep learning more in the coming weeks.

1 comment

1. Thanks for sharing an update on your project Zara! It sounds like you are learning a ton, which is great! I am curious, what has surprised you most about your lab experience thus far?

Take care,
    Emily