Reflections + Moving Forward – Zara Bedella

Reading through my first blog post, it’s surprising to see just how much I have learned in this lab in the last couple of months. I remember how nervous I felt to be trying things that were completely new, but now these are things that I feel very confident doing. I think I have also gotten better at asking questions when I am confused, though I think I will always be a little nervous to do so. I wrote to myself in my first blog post that I hoped I could look back and remember how much I enjoyed my project, and I think that is true now. I have gotten to know many other people in my lab, and my mentor has been really supportive. Working on the poster now, I feel like I really have a grasp on all aspects of this project, and I have learned so much about the oviduct/fallopian tubes, and how ovarian cancer may originate there. Before this year, I never saw myself doing wet lab research, but I am so glad that I took that jump and I have had this experience. I really like the lab work, and I think having this foundation will be such good experience in the future. 

If I had any advice for future WAGSFP fellows, I would say don’t be afraid to try something new. I applied for this wet lab project even though my past research experience was policy research, and I am so glad I did because I got to learn so much about a topic that really interests me, and I think the chance to do something completely different was really valuable and will help me as I narrow down what I want to do in the future. This program, the people, and my project have made this a really great 10 weeks!