Shared Understanding between Physicians and Nurses – UROP Summer Symposium 2021

Shared Understanding between Physicians and Nurses

Raeleen Sobetski

Raeleen Sobetski

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

UROP Fellowship: Biomedical and Life Sciences
Research Mentor(s): Vitaliy Popov, PhD
Research Mentor Institution/Department: Michigan Medicine, Department of Learning Health Sciences

Presentation Date: Wednesday, August 4th
Session: Session 3 (5pm-6:20pm EDT)
Breakout Room: Room 1
Presenter: 3

Event Link

Abstract

Background
Communication between physicians and nurses is a critical component to the well-being and health of their patients. However, poor communication is still one of the main challenges that affects patient safety, at the cost of the patient’s health. Poor communication can lead to a lack of understanding of the patient’s needs, which can cause adverse effects that could have been avoided with good communication. Previous studies have shown that communication needs to be improved, but have not successfully improved communication. Thus, further action is needed so that physicians and nurses communicate in order to come to a shared understanding.

Methods
We reviewed and transcribed footage that captures interaction between physicians and nurses from one hospital oncology unit. It was then analyzed through the use of verbal response modes (VRM) taxonomy. By coding sentences according to their grammatical meaning and intent, the level of communication and understanding can be accounted for, as can the type of successful and unsuccessful communication patterns.

Results
Our analysis is on-going and continuous, there are currently no results for the project. On a personal level, I have had many opportunities to learn through this research. On a technical level, I have learned a great deal through the use of ELAN software. Linguistically, I have had a lot of experience with the VRM coding language and understanding the importance of communication to reach a shared understanding in the field of medicine. As a whole, this project has opened my eyes to many aspects of medicine that I have not otherwise had the chance to learn and understand.

Conclusions
Since we are in the preliminary stages of this project, we are not able to draw any conclusions from our current data at this point.

Authors: Raeleen Sobetski, Kiara Turvey, Milisa Manojlovich, PhD, RN, FAAN, Vitaliy Popov, PhD
Research Method: Clinical Research