A Letter to Your Future Self – Olivia Morreale

Dear Future Olivia, 

Hi! I am writing this letter to you during the second week of the fellowship. The past few days have been so exciting: engaging in skill-building workshops, meeting with my mentor whom I think very highly of, and starting to chip away at research projects has been pretty surreal. I feel fortunate to have been given this opportunity and want to maximize my potential in this program through hands-on learning, collaboration, and a dedication to personal growth. 

Olivia this spring enjoying the docks!

This summer, I am working on Dr. Patterson’s lab “Focus Groups with the Community: Caregivers for Older Adults with Dementia”. Her work looks at the interplay between complex family or “kinship” ties and caregiving-related norms as they impact the health of older adults living with Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias (ADRD). Under the mentorship of Dr. Patterson, I will hone my data collection and analysis skills, connect with members of the community, and gain valuable insight into the research process.

While immersed in this program, I hope to learn more about qualitative research methods, become comfortable with data analysis software, and develop my writing skills in a scientific setting. Because this is my first experience working in research for 30+ hours a week, I want to establish a routine that maintains my organization and efficiency. Finding new study locations, meeting with other scholars, and having regimented breaks may help me stay focused and sharp. 

Some of my experiences in WAGSFP will challenge me. I have not had prior research experience before, so a few principles of the fellowship are nerve-wracking. I hope that I will be able to pick up the data analysis software quickly and use it to contribute meaningful ideas about the research topic. I am a little bit nervous about the 30+ hours/week commitment, but am looking forward to how this schedule will fully immerse me into the project. 

I am looking forward to becoming the best researcher I can possibly be! I hope that the next nine weeks go well. 🙂 

Best, 

Past Olivia

1 comment

1. Hi Olivia!
    Thanks for sharing a bit more about your self and your research. I am glad your research experience is off to a great start. Thanks for sharing the photo, I think I know where that is in Ann Arbor.

Take care,
    Emily