Interview with Lucia Greenhouse, author of fathermothergod

Lucia Greenhouse is the author of the book fathermothergod: My Journey Out of Christian Science. The mother of five resides in my hometown of Stonington, Connecticut, and I was privileged to be able to speak with her about her book. In her powerful and compelling narrative of her life in Christian Science, Lucia narrates her Read More …

Food and Literature Pairings

The culinary world is full of pairing guidelines: food and wine pairing, flavor matching, even complex rules for how to put together an entire dinner menu. For all this abundance of guidelines, though, there’s still one hole left in the food canon, and that’s literature and food pairing. If you’ve ever wondered what snacks to Read More …

Is Young Adult Fiction Too Adult?

Young Adult Fiction.  It is arguably one of the most popular categories among readers, piquing interest in young adults and older adults alike. Young adult fiction isn’t technically a “genre” per se, but more of a category, such as adult, or children’s books. In an article titled “Do Teens Get Pushed Out of Books When Read More …

Observing Poetry Through a Multi-Sensory Experience

Anyone who’s sat through a high school English class has probably encountered poetry. In many cases, this is the genre we dread most for its complexity and open-ended conclusions. Over the past couple of years, modern poetry has taken on various mediums—spoken word, art, and even film—and I wanted to implement some of these techniques Read More …

The World’s on Fire, and We’re Telling Stories

If there’s one thing I believe in, it’s the power of stories. The things we tell each other, sharing both our lived experiences as well as narratives from the depths of our imagination, are what make us human. Our entire society is built on stories in some form. We have myths, fables, religion, even historical documents. Read More …

Exploring the Literary World Through Four Student Perspectives

“What’s weird to me is that a lot of genres are taken off reading lists as an option, because it’s one thing to say, ‘oh, writing this, you’d probably fail. Writing science fiction short fiction is hard.’ Okay, fair. But am I going to do bad reading it?” No matter their major, every student has Read More …

Sweetland: A Place of Support

Ameera Kamalrudin doesn’t see Sweetland Center for Writing as simply a place of employment. Instead, she calls it a “space to grow.” When I sat down with my friend Ameera, a senior studying psychology and linguistics, I was just expecting a general description of what it’s like working as a Peer Writing Consultant. Instead, Read More …

Interview with Scott Beal, Co-Host of Skazat!

Skazat! is a gathering of poets, authors, and listeners who share personal works and readings on the fourth Tuesday of every month. Please refer to my earlier piece for more information.   Why did you decide to start Skazat!?  A series had been running in the back room of the original Sweetwaters Café for several Read More …