Michigan Research and Discovery Scholars – Barger Leadership Institute Student Voices

Michigan Research and Discovery Scholars

By Linh Tran

It was an absolute privilege for me to represent both the University of Michigan and the Michigan Research and Discovery Scholars during our research expedition to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The opportunity was truly exhilarating, made even more special by being honored with the BLI award. Thanks to BLI’s support, I was equipped with professional attire tailored for the occasion, which helped enhance my confidence as I engaged with professionals from diverse institutions such as the University of Pennsylvania and Thomas Jefferson University.

The assistance and support provided by BLI were invaluable, and I am deeply grateful for their contribution. Their grant not only facilitated my participation in the trip but also allowed me to present myself more professionally in front of esteemed colleagues and experts in the field. With their help, I was able to make a lasting impression and fully immerse myself in the enriching experiences that the trip offered.

The experience of networking and exchanging ideas with leaders and researchers on a global scale was nothing short of transformative. I was able to witness firsthand the innovative approaches being taken to address contemporary societal challenges. Such observations were so inspiring as I learned how research is an important part of education and development. Each conversation was a treasure trove of insights, where I not only had the chance to share my own experiences, but also to absorb the wealth of knowledge and perspectives shared by others.

Throughout the compact yet intellectually stimulating journey, I had the privilege to explore a multitude of research laboratories, each specializing in distinct disciplines ranging from engineering to design paradigms. This panoramic exposure afforded me a unique vantage point into the diverse methodologies and problem-solving approaches prevalent in research ecosystems beyond the confines of the University of Michigan.

The experience was akin to embarking on a voyage of discovery, as I gained invaluable insights into the intricacies of interdisciplinary collaboration and the symbiotic relationship between technology and innovation. Observing firsthand how passionate researchers channel their expertise towards addressing pressing global challenges was nothing short of inspiring, igniting within me a fervent curiosity to explore uncharted realms within my own field of study. Also, it was particularly eye-opening to see how some institutions incorporate interdisciplinary into the research process.

Furthermore, the opportunity to immerse myself in the operational dynamics of state-of-the-art machinery underscored the pivotal role of technological advancements in propelling the frontiers of scientific inquiry. From precision-engineered instruments to cutting-edge automation systems, each apparatus served as a testament to humanity’s relentless pursuit of knowledge and mastery over the forces of nature.

Overall, the trip provided me with a profound appreciation for the breadth and depth of research being conducted worldwide, reaffirming my commitment to contributing meaningfully to the advancement of knowledge and the betterment of society.