Week 5: Don’t spend your money on July 7! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 5: Don’t spend your money on July 7!

https://www.blackoutday.org/

Across social media, I have been seeing posts circulating about a national economic “blackout” day in support of the Black Lives Matter movement. #BlackOutDay2020 is a response to the millions of black squares posted on Instagram on June 2, 2020, in support of black lives and black-owned businesses. The campaign challenges everyone to avoid in-store and online purchases UNLESS it is at a black-owned business on July 7, 2020.

Black Lives Matter protests and demonstrations have been the primary way of challenging oppressive systems and racial injustice against black people, and July 7 is an economic means to accomplish the same end. We need to use every power we have to stand up against racist practices and microaggressions in our society, which includes our voice, our vote, and our spending ability. This July 7 is one way of changing the performative activism we see circulating around our social circles and supporting BIPOC businesses who are at a disadvantage due to COVID-19 and systemic oppression.

I encourage you all to look into the link I posted above and support black-owned businesses on July 7th and every day afterward!