Week Two & Three: Getting Started + How To Kill A City – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Two & Three: Getting Started + How To Kill A City

Week Two Blog –

Hi everyone! The community organization I am working with this summer is CDAD (Community Development Advocates of Detroit). CDAD is known for its public policy work for nonprofits, community organizations, and overall advocating for improving the city of Detroit. As of now, CDAD specializes in the right to counsel and affordable housing for Detroit residents. My summer project requires multiple tasks, but as of now, I will be drafting and publishing Tax Incentive information for community members. Interacting with the other DCERP members has been very enjoyable for me. My learning group had to change our activity :(. So we are in the middle of planning. So far so good overall!

Week Three Blog –

How To Kill A City was very interesting to me because (as we mentioned in our last meeting) there is an imbalance of native community members point of views compared to the gentrifiers. We don’t get to really hear about what Detroiters think about their city changing and how their being pushed out. I believe this was on purpose to show just how detrimental gentrification can be. Or, to show that whoever holds the money, holds the power. Those who possess this can frankly do whatever they please, and take whatever they want. As a native, it was different for me to hear the other side of the story.