Week 3 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 3

Hello Again! It’s been super hot this week, so I hope everyones been staying cool.

Working with LGBT Detroit has been as great learning experience. In my last post, I mentioned how I was helping work on a documentary to celebrate 30 years of LGBT Detroit. As part of the documentary, I’ve been helping interview various members of the LGBT Detroit Community. It’s been an amazing experience to be able to just sit back and learn from different members of the community.

From working with the community, I’ve learned that a community can provide a lot of support for someone merely by existing. Several of the community members that I interviewed spoke about how they had trouble finding spaces where they could express their identity as members of the LGBTQ+ community, and how they found a safe space at LGBT Detroit to do so. I think this speaks strongly to the need of a community, but also to the power a community can have.

I’ve learned a lot from the other DCERP fellows as well. One of my favorite things to learn is what everyone’s project is. It’s really amazing to learn how everyone else is using their skills to make the world a better place.

That’s all for this week. Stay cool everyone!

2 thoughts on “Week 3”

1. Hi Liam! I liked what you said about how a community can support someone simply by existing. Even though it may not always be visible, the work we’re doing with our non-profits can profoundly influence members of the community. It looks like LGBT Detroit is a meaningful example of this, as it works to support members of the LGBTQ+ community.