Week 3 at KGD – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 3 at KGD

One thing I’ve learned about Detroit since working at KGD is that Detroit has an extensive history of farming. Before colonization, the indigenous people did not view land as something that could be owned. They viewed land as living and shared with the community. However, when the French colonized the Detroit area, they divided the farmland into different segments for “ownership” by different colonizers. Some of the streets today got their names from these colonizers. In fact, the name “Detroit” originated from the French language and translates to “strait.”

Everything is operating in person now at KGD, but during the pandemic, the Summer Youth Apprenticeship was entirely virtual. The workshops and team-building activities were online, but the youth received all the materials to make their own gardens at home. They even made vlogs showcasing their gardens. At the farm, they had fewer people working at a time. People were still able to receive fruits and vegetables through curbside pickup and home delivery. There are many opportunities to talk with community members at my site. We often have volunteers at the farm that we can interact with. I also have a chance to talk with community members at the Eastern Market stand. Pretty soon, I’m going to work one of the farm dinners where a chef uses ingredients from the farm to make food for community members. So, that’ll allow me to meet some community members.

4 thoughts on “Week 3 at KGD”

1. I think it’s very interesting to see the two conflicting viewpoints regarding farming and the ownership of land- it’s something that we still see today. Also, it must be awesome talking to community members at Eastern Market, and good luck with the farm dinner!

2. I think it’s interesting that you can see how KGD remained active during the pandemic or how it has developed since the pandemic! I think with most places you just see the after effect

3. Hey, Peace! I love that you’re learning about the colonial/imperialistic history behind land-owning and farming. The work you’re doing sounds amazing!