Compass Update – Barger Leadership Institute

Compass Update

The University of Michigan is home to a robust healthcare ecosystem, with  nationally-ranked hospitals and numerous campus-wide health clinics. But  during my time at Michigan, I’ve continually struggled to figure out which  healthcare resources are right for me when I’m sick or stressed due to the  sheer number of options available. After talking with other students, I  quickly found out that I’m not alone and that many others have experienced  the same struggle. That is why my friends and I started working on  “Compass,” a web platform that helps students find on-campus healthcare  resources at Michigan. 

After a couple months of hard work, we had created an extensive database  containing information on every on-campus resource at U-M. Additionally,  we had engineered a website to surface this information in a clear and  accessible way. However, we had no way of knowing whether our platform  would work as intended and actually help students find care. We had heard  of user testing before, but weren’t sure how to run a test or analyze the  data. That’s why we turned to the Social Transformation Fellowship. 

One of the key things we learned from the Fellowship was how to run focus  sessions with potential users and effectively gather feedback from user testing participants. Different subject matter experts walked us through how  to recruit participants, ask comprehensive questions, and analyze both  quantitative and qualitative data from these sessions. This was incredibly  helpful, as it allowed my team to better understand how we could assess  the needs and wants for students that could potentially use Compass.

In addition to learning how to run focus sessions, the Fellowship also  helped us understand how to ethically and responsibly work with different  populations. A staff member from the Ginsberg Center taught us how  cultural humility can allow you to engage with populations respectfully,  especially when you are trying to design interventions to help them. This  was especially important for us building a healthcare resource platform, as  we want to make sure that we are providing access to resources for all  students, regardless of their background or needs. 

Overall, participating in the Social Transformation Fellowship was an  invaluable experience for our team. It provided us with the knowledge  necessary to build a web platform that inclusively helps all students find on campus healthcare resources. We are so thankful for the opportunity to  have been a part of this Fellowship and are excited to continue working  with the BLI going forward!