After four long weeks of working with the Detroit Food Academy, I honestly feel as if I am apart of the organization’s family. After working with students I have gained a better appreciation for the hard dedicated work of teachers. I was in awe seeing the children look up to me asking me questions, as I once did less than two years ago. I felt quite mature when I attended a meeting with several teachers that expressed interest in participating in our organization. I felt even more accomplished when I personally invited one of the interested teachers. Seeing that I was the only person in the room without a college degree did discourage me slightly to interject certain ideas or criticize. When I returned back to my high school, Cass Tech, to talk to students I felt like an authoritative figure. Being the presenter and not the “presentee” makes you realize how hard it is to be on the other side. The only reason I received some comfort is because several of the students remembered me from a couple of years back.

I honestly believe now that I picked the best placement possibility out of everyone in UROP. I adore the Green Garden space. The only problem I encountered was when the printer/scanner was giving me a very difficult time. With much trial and error, I realized the machine just needed some affection and attention. Machines have feelings to and I had to treat it with the same tenderness as a newborn baby. We started as enemies, but now it is my greatest friend. We got so much work done this week, it was astonishing. We printed the 5 various surveys that I created. It was a good week and I cannot wait till Tuesday.