Week 8 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 8

As the end draws near working for the Detroit Food Academy, I am shocked about how much I have done and learned. It saddens me knowing that I only have less than two more weeks until UROP ends. Week 8 was mostly focused on putting the final touches on my project and drawing conclusions. I finished analyzing and recording and coding all the results from the Afterschool Survey I created. I also designed some 3-D graphs of our data that my supervisor Jen was highly impressed with. Unfortunately, do to all the attention we were given the program, the accounting aspect was much out of date. After a very brief accounting lesson from my supervisor, I worked extremely hard on catching the organization up in its record-keeping. This allows us to continue receiving grants and donations to fund our non-profit after-school program. Friday was the best day at the office though. “I had many friends who kept telling me to take the day off since it was my birthday, but I refused. I was surprised when I came to see tasty Avalon snacks with candles inserted and the Green Garage singing happy birthday. I also was taken out to Sevas where
I really enjoyed their pai-tai. I am really going to miss the Detroit Food Academy and the family of the Green Garage.