Entry #6: The little things.. – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Entry #6: The little things..

It’s the little things that count—and that’s why I love Detroit. Having now spent five weeks in the city, I have done a fair amount of exploring, though it feels as if I never stop making new, quirky little discoveries. From hidden alleyway gardens, little tucked away museums, and lonely yet beautiful works of art, the city possesses an exotic array of curiosities just waiting to be uncovered.

Compounding these gems are enriching, fascinating events that assist in bringing Motown’s population together. For example, today while I was jogging, I saw an advertisement for a weekly, under-the-stars celebration of “Hellenic heritage” that includes “authentic Greek cuisine, culture, and carouse.” So excited to hit that up…Greek food is sooo good….mmmm…errrm anyway sorry like I was saying, experiences such as these exist everywhere in this city—you just have to open your eyes and ears. Plenty of people are looking to bring positive change to Detroit, and from what I’ve learned, most would love for everyone to join them in their pursuit of a more vibrant metropolis.

While visionaries have been active in their efforts to bring the community together, the driving force behind the betterment of Detroit is the rest of its residents. If this city is to continue its ascension, the people must maintain a positive, willful attitude. Positive energy will bring positive change, and I believe more and more people are buying into this notion every day. For the most part, the residents of this city that I have encountered have been kind, interesting, engaging, and mild-mannered—hidden gems just waiting to be uncovered. While this positive mentality has not been induced within everyone, I believe it will continue to spread, hence catalyzing improved life for Detroit.

It’s a bold statement, but I really believe it to be true.

While Detroit possesses big-ticket attractions such as sports stadiums and casinos, most major cities do. Thus, these entities are not what make Detroit, well, Detroit. A city’s culture cannot be defined by a few localities as culture is bred by the whole. Like I said, it’s the little things that count the most, and that’s why I love Detroit.