Week 10: Finals Reactions – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 10: Finals Reactions

After re-reading the letter I wrote myself during my first week here, I can definitely say I am pleased with how my time in Detroit was spent. I was very adamant not to hold myself back in any way or deny myself any important experiences here. Although a lack of funds prevented me from trying all the great Detroit restaurants and going to cool surrounding places, I still feel like I had a good introduction into living here. Before I came, I was excited about living in a bigger city. I have to say now, I have no desire to reside in a big city permanently in the future! One summer was enough for me 🙂 I appreciate how I adapted to a new way of life, though. Maybe I didn’t get to experience all the parts of Detroit that required excess funds, but I experienced no shortage of learning in the workplace at the HP Collaborative. The most important thing to me about this program was the knowledge I’d gain through working at my placement. I am now a stronger researcher, have new and improved skills to work on future projects, and feel more confident with my communication skills in the workplace (especially with those from diverse backgrounds). I feel confident that as much as I learned, I was equally as helpful to the organization. My supervisor always expressed gratitude for the work I was doing, and I feel as though I have benefited the Collaborative’s future endeavors.

I was always curious about how Detroit really was, because most of the things I had heard about it were negative. I’m not one to give into stereotypes and rumors, so I had a very open heart coming to live here. I’m glad that I did, because not much that I have experienced here has been negative. I liked living on Wayne State’s nice campus and exploring the beautiful things that Midtown and Downtown have to offer. I also have seen first-hand the positive things being done in high needs communities, and the sense of love that community members have towards their hometown. It’s easy to get wrapped up in some of the not so great parts of the city, like abandoned buildings and graffiti common on every street. Once you get past that, you can accept Detroit as a home equally as beautiful as the one you may be from. In addition, taking every safety precaution (locking up my things, not walking alone at night- things I’d do any place), nothing remotely bad or crime related happened to me here, nor did I feel threatened. I wish people would stop assuming I was in grave danger all summer!

I like the ways that I’ve changed this summer, from living in a new and exciting place to working with such a powerful and passionate organization. My expectations for the summer were high, both of my placement and myself. Any frustrations that I may have had with work were placated by the end results of my project and the good that I know I’m doing the community of Highland Park.