Week 4: Workplace Culture – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 4: Workplace Culture

Although this is my first office job, I am to some extent certain that Focus: HOPE is very unique in its communal spirit. Staff are encouraged to wear pins with the Focus: HOPE emblem and they are very proud to identify with the organization. Also, everyone is required to present themselves very professionally because every staff member is considered a reflection of the community. That community is very respected in the surrounding area. Residents are very generous with nice words about the work that the organization does.

Within the community, Focus: HOPE strongly emphasizes diversity, there is a balance of young and old, black and white, men and women. There is, however, a lot to yet be achieved on the ethnic diversity front; there is an absence of Asian, Middle Eastern/North African, and Hispanic staff members.

In the Community Development department, meetings do not start on time. One might sit in an empty room for 20 minutes if s/he came on time. This is only one element of the very relaxed atmosphere in the office. For example, there is no rush to finish lunch breaks on time. However, a sense of urgency often prevails when the graphic designers sitting near me are told to change something at the last minute and they stress out.

In its essence, my workplace is the stereotypical office space. There are these gray cubicles, phones are ringing constantly in the background, and supervisors are checking on the progress that interns are doing.