Week 6: Detroit Food Academy Progress Report – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 6: Detroit Food Academy Progress Report

Hello all. The last few weeks at DFA have been hectic, but also very exciting! The DFA students are wonderful, charismatic, and welcoming. This week was the final part of the student orientation process, so now the MADNESS begins! Thankfully, we finally started the interviewing process for our “Storytellers” project and their video interviews are great! I had the opportunity to explore a little more of Detroit throughout the week and found some cool street art. Also, I will be in Niagara Falls this weekend and can’t wait to relax and enjoy the view.

IMG_20150709_173836           IMG_20150710_120141

IMG_20150710_112115

On another note, as I rode my bike to the Horatio Foundation building this morning, I stumbled upon a local protest against police brutality. I guess with all the celebrating of equal rights for gay marriage (which I fully support by the way), the general public have ignored this issue. I feel that Obama knew that tackling an issue such as police brutality against minorities was nearly impossible to change, so he chose another minority to help and deflect all the negative media and scrutiny the U.S. government has endured these past months. Hopefully, their voices will not go unheard and some real change will transpire soon.

Protest against police violence
Protest against police violence