So Long Old Friend – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

So Long Old Friend

prints-1

So we’ve come to the end of this experience and it ends with a whimper instead of a bang. All of the summer camps, volunteers,community meetings, protests, and gardening just didn’t happen this week. I mean, there has been stuff to do at Hope House, but not nearly as much as previous weeks. As we did today’s garden work- harvesting, weeding and watering, it was bittersweet because I knew the end was near. Everyone split the collard greens, arugula, potatoes and onions we harvested.Tomorrow I’ll be working from home. I guess they thought it would be a nice gesture. I found myself still raking leaves as everyone put away the tools for the day. I wanted it to look perfect as I left with  my bucket of produce.

I’m going to miss going to work at Voices for Earth Justice everyday.  Not only was it a job, but a job that represents some of the major things I stand for- equality, justice, stewardship of the planet, community building.  I could go on and on, but I think you get my point. I’ve met so many amazing people who are making a difference in their own way and it put things into perspective for me. I don’t have to try to save the world by myself.  There is a position for each and every one of us.  The key is working together to get things done. The transformation at Hope House this summer is incredible.

As I read over my letter to myself at the beginning of the program, I laughed because I did exactly what I told myself not to do- put too much pressure on myself! How so? Hmmm, maybe by deciding to film my summer experience and show it as a documentary. How’s that for pressure? I can laugh about it because the work is done and I had a blast doing it. If I could do it all again, I’d probably add more interviews. That’s just how I roll. Pressure either bursts pipes or makes diamonds.  I guess that’s the Michigan Difference!

IMG_20150730_173721 IMG_20150724_102453