Week 10 Blog: Reflecting Thought – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 10 Blog: Reflecting Thought

As I look back to 10 weeks ago, everything has change, my view on Detroit, my awareness in regards to community development, my insight, etc. I could go on and on about how this program was taught me so much. I came in this program with the mindset that I knew a lot, but I can definitely say that I’ve been learning more than teaching, which is the best gift of all. I’ve spent great time with my fellow DCBRP family, and I’ve made an impact on the Summer In The City community. I cannot thank Jenna enough for accepting me into this program to experience so much!

This program was an avenue to open new career ideas, to explore more about urban issues, and to come back and work for my city when I am older. However, I will continue my work in the city of Detroit for as long as I am able. From healthcare, to community development, to water and food resources, when I go to public health school, I have so many topics I can work towards bettering!

Working for the greater good of Detroit has changed my life. Working with the children, interviewing the people from clark park, carpooling volunteers to their sites, all have given me perspectives of what its like to be a Detroiter, and how the Summer In The City Program has changed their life, I know for certain, that it has changed mine.

I was blessed to be around other UofM Students that are strong, like-minded and caring such as the ones I’ve met this summer. We all have bonded to wonderfully, and we have all learned so much from one another. I know for a fact we will continue our friendships in the fall, laughing and joking with each other in the libraries. When I think of the program ending, I think that everyone is saying their goodbyes. Its amazing how that’s not true, it’s only a “See you Later!”