Week#9 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week#9

This post is not specifically about my experiences in Detroit, DCBRP, or Friends of Parkside. However, it is still very relevant in my eyes because the upcoming election will determine the future of cities like Detroit and small nonprofits like Friends of Parkside. So, here’s my political rant for the summer.

I voted for Bernie Sanders. I believe in his message of creating an America that serves those of every identity. However, when Hillary Clinton gained the Democratic nomination I knew in an instant that I would vote for Hillary Clinton. Hillary Clinton will not do what I want for this country. She will probably not tackle ridiculous income gaps, the big banks and lobbyists buying out elections, corruption within the parties, or systematic racism. She probably won’t make much effort to better the lives of people of color, immigrants, or those living in poverty in our country and that makes me angry. I wish we could make a great leap toward a greater society, like the one I trusted Bernie Sanders to lead us in. Bernie Sanders isn’t the nominee though, and as much as I would love to see a political revolution, now is not the time to take a moral high ground. Now is the time to do whatever it takes to make sure that things don’t get worse. A Clinton presidency may not move this country forward but at the very least it would keep us where we are and prevent the little steps that we have made in the past 8 years from being erased. By not voting for Hillary you are effectively allowing Donald Trump to win the presidency and, instead of keeping our ground and persevering forward, allowing our country to slip back a hundred years into the past. By not voting for Hillary Clinton you are accepting the fact that the United States will be destroyed for a generation. Hillary Clinton’s presidency means much more than who our president will be for the next four years, it determines who will be filling the seats in our Supreme Court and representing the constitution for the next twenty years, it determines whether the Executive Order allowing gay marriage in the United States will be upheld for the next four years. There are so many things that we completely take advantage for in our daily lives that hinge on a Hillary Clinton presidency and I feel that it is my responsibility and that of every citizen in our country to put the fate of ourselves and the upcoming generation before our own preferences and, yes, before our own beliefs. A Clinton presidency is not what this country needs in order to become a better place for people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ+ individuals, or those living in poverty. But a Clinton presidency is what will keep us from eroding the past century of progress that we have fought and died for. I am voting for a future where progress is still plausible. I am voting for Hillary Clinton.