Final Goodbyes – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Final Goodbyes

When I read my first blog post, I was like wooooooooooow, so much passion and pure heart. I would say that the goal that I definitely achieved was understanding my role more as a Detroiter. I really appreciated this trip for that. I learned more history, I started to use resources that I knew existed, but didn’t seem to see within my reach, and really challenged myself to stigmatize poor black people.

I definitely also fulfilled my goal of getting out into the community more to actually talk with people. I feel like there could have been a bit more of this, but I did get to experience it.

Also, I do feel like I’ve proven that I have the capacity to be a mentor, friend, and true community member. At the same time, I would say that I didn’t necessarily fulfill my goal of giving my best and nothing less. There was a certain point in time where I loss passion and I felt useless. This changed, however, when I got to get myself out into the community and truly meet people.

ALSO, I did see how water shutoffs are connected to my other passions, especially education. I always knew that nothing was mutually exclusive.

I’m going to miss DCBRP and the people. I’ve grown so much over the summer and I’m really thankful for the opportunity to have had the experience that I had here. I don’t regret it.

Peace,

ME