Welcome Home – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Welcome Home

I spent the first month of summer in Leon, Nicaragua. As all the members of my team talked about what they were doing next, there was a common theme. “I’ll be home for 2 days until I start working at this summer camp,” “I’m doing Teach for America out of state,” “I’m traveling,” and the like. However, I said, “I’ll be home this summer!” I knew that this summer would be one to remember. I’m so glad to be home – what a warm welcoming?!

I’ve haven’t been able to say that since I was in high school. Since I’ve been in college, the Summer Bridge Program 2014, I have been living in Ann Arbor all year around. I love Detroit and its rich history. Most importantly, I love how much people from Detroit represent our city. If you’re from Detroit, you know that we love being Detroit and we make sure people know it. I enjoy being able to explore the parts of the city that I’m not familiar with, such as where I’m working, at Friends of Parkside. Detroit is a huge city, so even though I’ve lived here for 18 years, there are many areas that I’ve never visited.

I’m excited to make more memories here at home and the surrounding areas. Being able to give back to a community that is passionate and cares about their home is something I’m looking forward to. The best part about the work that I will be doing is that it involves children. I believe that our youth is our future and it’s our duty to pour into their lives in any positive way we can.