Week #2 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week #2

I work for Develop Detroit, a non-profit social enterprise that focuses affordable mixed-income housing. In our monthly work meeting, we discussed the importance of sticking to a common message about Develop Detroit’s values and goal in order to secure funding, so I hope I don’t put them to shame. The company is a mission-driven real estate development company that helps preserve, restore, and grow communities throughout Detroit. The company is young; it has only been established for two years, but it already has three properties and is looking for more. That is where Zoe and I become relevant. While Zoe is looking for services that residents in these developments can benefit from, I am tasked with mapping conditions for certain funding programs in the hopes of finding property. We met with our supervisor today, and the importance of the work that we are doing for the company and the faith they are putting into us is both exciting and scary. However, knowing that the research that I do can eventually benefit the company and will probably lead to the tangible acquisition of properties through Detroit makes the internship all the more worthwhile. I am happy I will be able to walk away from this program with investment analysis and mapping skills as well as significantly more knowledge about real estate and property.

My first week in Detroit has exceeded my expectations. Zoe and I work great together and everyone in the office has gone above and beyond to make us feel at home. The unlimited La Croix and popcorn are also a major plus. Eating downtown everyday as shown me I could live in a big city in the future. While the Q-line is unreliable, I like the ride and I enjoy the people that ride with me. It is also a constant reminder of how one person (Dan Gilbert) can own an entire city.

It is also crazy to think that we have only been here for about two weeks. It feels like I have known the people in the program for way longer. The close connections that we’ve made in the cohort make exploring Detroit way easier and more fun. Going to Eastern market is my new favorite weekend destination (if nothing else but for the free samples). I have throughly enjoyed myself in these two weeks; I have not been bored one day. I can’t wait to see how the next two months go.