week two – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

week two

I’m working at Southwest Detroit Environmental Vision. SDEV’s mission is to improve the environment and strengthen the economy of Southwest Detroit. Southwest Detroit is a heavily polluted area because of local industries and transportation including Michigan’s only oil refinery, a sewage treatment plant, the busiest international border crossing in North America, three major freeways, and three steel mills. Southwest Detroit is a densely populated area with 77,000 residents and a large Mexican – American community. Nearby South Dearborn is largely an Arab-American community. Diesel emissions are carcinogenic, cause asthma attacks and allergies, trigger lunch and cardiovascular diseases, and contribute to ground level ozone. The average asthma hospitalization rate for children in Southwest Detroit is over twice the average rate for other Michigan children. Air pollution is a major problem in this community.

My project is an Anti-Idling campaign. Idling is when a car or truck driver keeps the engine running while not moving the vehicle. The City of Detroit has an Anti-Idling Ordinance, stating that trucks cannot idle for more than five minutes in a sixty minute period. My project aims to increase awareness of the ordinance and the negative health impacts of idling as well as make the enforcement process more efficient. A lot of my project involves meeting with different groups of people- community members, trucking companies, police officers, city council members, and other environmental advocacy groups. I get to go to a lot of meetings with people from all over Detroit working on making the city a healthier place to live. These people are so passionate and devoted to improving Detroit, it’s amazing to be able to talk with them.  

My experience so far has been very good. I’ve enjoyed having so much free time and I already feel comfortable here. I enjoyed going to Eastern Market last weekend and will probably make that a weekly thing. I’m excited to explore more!