I’m not really sure what the prompt means by “cultural cues” but I definitely notice a distinctive workplace culture at the Green Garage. They have 5 different types of recycling bins, two composts, and a rooftop garden. We are encouraged to go to the loft with couches and blankets to nap if we need to and to check out books on sustainability from the mini library. There is a huge open area devoted to “coworking” and there are events that take place between all of the different companies. I’ve never worked anywhere else but I’m assuming that most office places are not very similar. It feels like everyone there genuinely wants to be at work and isn’t just there because they have to be. I think part of this is definitely attributed to the fact that most people there are with a small business that they either own or are a big part of so they are more likely to be passionate about their job that at a typical corporate office, but I think the workplace culture contributes as well. I hope that in the future I will be able to work somewhere where everyone is so passionate about their jobs. Somewhere that gives as much free food would be nice too.

While there are many positives to the culture at the green garage, such as the environmental consciousness and the supportive atmosphere, there are a couple things that bother me. Many of the businesses are working in Detroit doing really good work and engaging with the community, but some of them seem like they are just helping to develop midtown or aren’t communicating with the people they are working to help. It seems like some people there just like to pat their own backs about the work they’ve done despite this. I wonder if this bothers some of the other businesses who are not doing this.