Week #9– “Sad” to be leaving – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week #9– “Sad” to be leaving

I’ve really enjoyed my time in the DCBRP program, and sad to see it come to an end. The best parts of the program have been the people, my placement, and the weekly events. Although at times the work at my job got overwhelming, I’ve appreciated the challenges and being able to overcome them. I’ve learned a lot about consulting, and energy management. Hopefully I will be able to apply these skills in the future. The DCBRP interns were really nice to be around, too. The fact that everyone made an effort to get to know one another instead of staying in their rooms all the time and leaving over the weekends, I feel like I got a chance to know them all really well. I could definitely see myself hanging out with them on campus next semester. The events we had each week did a great job at bringing everyone together, even though we already spent a lot of time during the week with each other. I’m glad it didn’t feel like I only had to wait for Tuesdays and Thursdays to see most of my cohorts. I’m glad everyone coming into this internship had intentions on using these 10-weeks to get to know new people. Everyone Jenna hired for this summer definitely deserved to be here, given what limited space was available and seeing how other people who applied didn’t get a chance to come; people who may have just sat in their rooms the whole 10 weeks, never making an effort to do what this internship was designed to do–not only place people in amazing non-profits, but ALSO make new friends and learn about Detroit.