The Origins of the Urban Crisis Reflection: Week 9 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

The Origins of the Urban Crisis Reflection: Week 9

The Origins of the Urban Crisis was overall kind of boring and dull. I did read about some interesting things such as the economic and housing loss that accelerated Detroit’s housing loss. Although my family did not move from Detroit, we were affected by this housing loss during 2008. Our house was foreclosed and we had to immediately find another house to live in. We are currently still living in that house that is being rented out. The move put my family in a bad spot financially and now my dad is trying to find a house that he can own. However, he is looking outside of the city because he is tired at how the city is treating its residents. The book stated that this housing crisis was the cause for many more abandon houses to appear in Detroit and this cause businesses to close and many residents to forcefully move out. This housing crisis only did Detroit more damage because it was already on decline. This information stuck out too me because I remember living here, when these events started to take place.