Week #10 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week #10

My last day in the DCBRP is Friday, and I feel proud of all I have accomplished this summer. At my placement, I accomplished the goals I set out to achieve in my first blog post. Every person at Develop Detroit is one that I could contact for questions and for help. I have had my one on one experiences with Sonya, and she taught me a lot about her journey and how important is was for her. It makes me remember that while my experience may be ending right now, the people in our placements stay behind. They are committed to the cause that we only had two months of exposure to.  I learned GIS and made a map, but other employees are juggling three or four developments that are four-year long projects. That commitment is terrifying and inspiring to me.

I am also proud of the friends that I made. They helped me explore a city that felt foreign to me. They helped make Detroit my own. And I cry every night thinking about how Erin and I only have one more semester before he leaves.

I hope I can look back on this summer and everyone I met during the program for inspiration in the future.