week 10 the end – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

week 10 the end

I thought looking back at my first post would be pretty embarrassing, and it is a little bit, but I realized I actually accomplished a lot of the goals I had in mind when I started this program. I certainly gained a lot of experience in community engagement and outreach. I worked directly with neighbors of Hope House of all ages, as well as helped program and lead course on resiliency skills with community leaders. Another goal I mentioned in my first blog was to figure out what kind of role I want to take in community development when it comes to my career. Seeing all the local businesses helping the city helped affirm my decision to attend Ross School of Business. I also definitely learned a lot about the history of Detroit, especially with all the events I attended about it being the 50th anniversary of the race “riots”.

My experience with Voices for Earth Justice has been so unique and meaningful. I got to make my mark on the organization by helping plan programming, updating the Hope House space, and other day to day moments with community members that I felt made an impact. I think I will miss Naim more than anything, I could’ve never imagined having such a fun, thoughtful, intelligent supervisor. I’ve learned so much from him about activism, gardening, compassion, and being a more in-touch person. I already plan on coming back to Hope House later this month and hopefully beyond. I’ve had an amazing summer and I will keep everything I’ve learned in my mind as I continue my education and career.