Week 1: Letter to Chloe – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 1: Letter to Chloe

Hi, Chloe!

I’m so excited that you have the opportunity to live in a new city and work with an organization that aligns so well with your studies and values. You are excited for all the opportunities to learn and grow this summer, inside and outside of your internship.

There’s a few things I really want you to keep in mind:

I want you to take every opportunity to learn from the Detroit community. This is important because of where you’re from. You don’t always have the opportunity to learn about new places, and, coming from such a small hometown, it’s important to always take every opportunity to learn from a new place. Also, I think it’s really important that you know more about the community in which you are working and trying to make a difference. You already have the knowledge and tools to make a difference using sustainability as a vehicle, but you need to learn how to grow into the space available in the community first. It’s so important to be respectful of the community you are placing yourself in, and this will be a valuable skill for your future career.

My current perception of Detroit is that it has a lot of history and culture as well as being a fun place to explore. I’m so excited to learn all that I can about this city, and hopefully find my own place within it. I’m also excited to become closer with all the other people in the program. I hope you remember to take every opportunity to go out and explore, learn, and become friends with everyone you can.

I’m excited for the challenges and opportunities you will face this summer, and I hope you grow through it.

– Chloe