Moving into my second week, it’s been interesting to look back and think about how my first week shaped my expectations for my job placement here at focus: HOPE. Focus: HOPE is a non profit organization working around an area surrounding Oakman Blvd. They deal with community revitalization. This mean encouraging and building financial security and independence in the neighborhood, as well as increasing safety and educational opportunities for all residents.

Underneath Focus: HOPE is the HOPE Village Initiative, which deals with community engagement. I work in this department along with Shaylynn in the DCBRP program. We are currently working on creating an engaging and interesting space at the weekly farmers market HOPE Village hosts at one of its parks. Our job is to find creative ways to increase attendance. I’ve been designing a banner for the park fence and Shaylynn has worked on yard signs for the surrounding neighborhood. We are also developing a social media pitch for the head of Communications here at Focus: HOPE.

I really enjoy working at solving problems that come up working with a non-profit. However, some of these problems can be frustrating because they are beyond your control. It seems that Focus: HOPE is going through a restructuring of their programs, which has created some sort of tension or confusion in regards to the Hope Village’s place within the larger mission of Focus: HOPE. This organization actually has a for profit branch, which has training programs that work with community members to educate, train, and then employ workers at factories or plants with which there is an agreement.

It seems that there’s some imbalance between the attention paid to the for profit and non profit sections of the organization. However, I truly enjoy the space where I work. The team working on the HVI is incredibly supportive, creative, and kind.I’m excited to see how my work can positively affect the farmers market, and to get to know more community members more closely.